TRIPOLINE PASTA BAKE WITH CHEESE & MUSHROOMS
- 300g (12oz) Tripoline pasta ( pasta ribbons with a crimped edge)
- 15g (1/2 oz) dried porcini mushrooms – broken into pieces
- 150ml Marsala wine or dry sherry
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled and chopped
- 250g (10oz) chestnut mushrooms – cleaned and cut into ¼
- 250g (10oz) flat mushrooms – peeled and each one cut into 6
- 3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 570ml (1 pint) milk
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 50g (2oz) flour
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 150g (6oz) farmhouse vintage cheddar – grated and mixed with the parmesan
- 50g (2oz) parmesan – grated.
- Pre heat oven to 200oc, 400of, gas mark 6
- Place the porcini mushrooms in a small pan with the Marsala and bring to simmering point then take off heat and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry over a low heat until soft, add the mushrooms to the pan and stir – once the 30 minutes is up add the porcini mushrooms and Marsala. Continue to cook the mushroom mixture stirring occasionally over a low heat for approx 30-40 minutes or until all of the juices have evaporated.
- Put the butter, flour and milk in a medium saucepan and whisk constantly until thick and smooth, add seasoning and nutmeg and simmer for 5 minutes.Then whisk in the double cream.
- Put a large pan of water onto boil, once boiling add the pasta and simmer for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan add 2-4 tbsp of the sauce and the mushrooms, and cheese ( reserving a handful to sprinkle on top) stir well.
- Pile the whole lot into an ovenproof serving dish, pour over the sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.